Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Truth About Working from Home

It is wonderful yet at times ... not so wonderful. Since 2007, I have successfully worked for several companies that routinely hire people to work from home. I haven't made tons of moola, but I have made enough to pay my bills. The work I do is not at the same level as my education. Yet, I persist in this type of work, because I need to work from home.

There are many people who have limited employment options. Often its their circumstances, they have small children, a medical disability, take care of aging parents, need a second job, or live in a rural area with no jobs.

Personally, I found working from home gives me flexibility. This is necessary due to a medical condition which does not allow me to predict my energy levels. As hard as I try, I still have days when I am unable to make it out the door. Working from home helps me to make money and cope with this condition.

Since there are so many people that need this type of work the demand is extremely high. Employers are swamped with applications. However, if you are determined, persistent and patient it's possible you may work in your pjs too.

For those who choose to do the carpet commute, here are some helpful resources:

ratracerebellion Started by two professionals who have a mission to help everyone return to a less stressed, family first life.

workathomedesk Lists jobs and companies who routinely hire telecommute workers

craigslist Look under your city using the telecommute feature and you will find many local jobs which offer the opportunity to work from home ***Note: since the ads are free you have to be extremely careful not to respond to an ad that is a scam. Do not ever pay money to anyone for a job.

flexjobs This site now requires a paid subscription to see all their positions. However, signing up as a member allows you to get emails listing jobs every so often. It might be worth it to join only until you find a position that works for you.

workaholics4hire This site also lists jobs. Lots of helpful content to determine if working from home is right for you. Started by a woman who understands the need to work from home.

Working from home is a great benefit, however, many employers are not offering much else in terms of pay, working conditions or medical benefits. This is why many people will work multiple jobs in order to increase their total pay. It is worth doing a lot of research before applying for a job to make sure it will be a good fit. Trust me on this, there are people who have been surprised by the differences of how employees are treated in the work at home world.

No comments: